The Duluth Public Library is seeking energetic, responsible people who are looking for rewarding work. Volunteering at your library is a wonderful way to help people, while also staying connected to your community. Please read our volunteer policy before applying.
If you would like to donate your time, please read our Volunteer Policy and then contact our volunteer coordinator, Cheryl Skafte, at:
Download Volunteer Application
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Library Intern – Summer 2019
Goal of position: To gain youth-focused work experience at a busy public library. Some interns are able to receive internship credit for their volunteer hours with the City of Duluth. Please contact your school advisor to determine if this is a possibility.
Time commitment: 8 to 12 weeks between May and September. Start and end dates can be flexible. This can be a half or full-time position.
• Assist with staffing service desks at branch and youth area service points
• Assist library staff with summer events for adults, teens, and young children
• Assist library patrons of all ages with computer and personal device use
Depending on the intern’s interests, other project examples include:
• Working with library staff and local organizations to develop outreach services for families and youth experiencing homelessness or living in supportive housing
• Leading a children’s summer events, projects, and programs under the supervision of a youth services librarian
• Planning future library events
• Other projects as assigned
• Interest in working with children, teens, families
• Interest in planning and presenting public events
• Good communication and organizational skills
Training/Orientation: Interns are required to attend a basic orientation session.
Background Check/Screening: Applicants must consent to a background check.
Application Process: Send resume and cover letter to Cheryl Skafte, Volunteer Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
Salary Range: Unpaid, $25/week stipend
Home Library Service – Delivery Drivers and Contact Volunteers
Goal of Opportunity: Promote the use of library materials to patrons who physically cannot visit the library.
Time Commitment: 4-6 hours per month, minimum of one-year commitment encouraged. Schedule is flexible, depending on volunteer’s availability.
There are two Home Library Service volunteer opportunities available. Depending on availability and interest, volunteers may apply for both opportunities.
Volunteer contacts Home Library Service users to discuss book interests and requests. Using the patron's account, volunteer selects, checks out and bags the requested books for the patron, preparing it for delivery volunteers. Every effort will be made to match volunteers with Home Library Service users with similar book interests.
Volunteer delivers and picks up loaned materials from Home Library Service users. Volunteers select a delivery route based on geographic considerations. The bag of library materials may be picked up and dropped off at any Duluth Public Library location.
• Enthusiasm for the Duluth Public Library; friendliness; ability to interact with the public.
• Able to work independently and with little supervision.
• Ability to push, bend, stretch, and lift; a bag of materials can weigh up to 22 lbs.
• Delivery Volunteers must have a valid driver’s license and access to reliable transportation.
• Contact Volunteers must be comfortable using phones and the online library catalog.
Training/Orientation: All Home Library Service Volunteers are required to attend the basic orientation session and at least 3 hours of additional training provided by the DPL. Current volunteers who are already fulfilling this volunteer description can be excused from training if current supervisor(s) sign off.
Background Check/Screening: Applicants must fill out an application and consent to a background check. Delivery Volunteers must have a valid driver’s license and consent to a driving history check.
Application Process: Complete a Volunteer Application and send to Cheryl Skafte, Volunteer Coordinator, email@example.com