Duluth Public Library Summer Internship
Goal of Position: To provide a student with the opportunity to gain a variety of work experience at a busy public library. This internship can be either half-time or full-time. The intern will have the opportunity to perform the following duties:
- Work with the public in our computer lab assisting adults with a wide range of skills – Lab assistants monitor computer use in the library’s main computer lab and provide the public with help using devices and the internet.
- Assist adult and youth services with events - The intern will be asked to help staff with events planned for this summer.
- Assist with staffing service desks - With the assistance of library staff, the intern will have the opportunity to work at both adult and youth service points.
- Work with the public relations staff to grow the library’s media footprint - The intern will have the opportunity to curate, design, and write posts for a variety of social media platforms.
Time Commitment: A commitment of 20-30 hours per week for 10 to 12 weeks between June and August 2017
- Sophomore, Junior, or Senior in college with a focus on Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, or Library Science
- Familiarity with a host of social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
- Strong command of the English language
- Exceptional written communication skills and self-motivation
- Work with a group of dedicated professionals
- Gain real world experience in promoting a busy public library
- Exercise creative control of a variety of social media platforms
- Access to the Adobe Creative Suite, digital cameras, video cameras, and other equipment to create content
Training/Orientation: Interns are required to attend a basic orientation session.
Background Check/Screening: Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume and consent to a background check.
Application Process: Send a resume and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org Salary Range: Unpaid (May be eligible for a $25/week stipend)
Supervised by: Susan Schumacher, Youth Service, Branch, and Public Relations Supervisor, Duluth Public Library, 281-720-4219, email@example.com
Youth and Community Services Assistant - Teen Programming
Overview: Assist with planning and implementing two consistent teen programs each month at the library. These two events involves anime and manga. Volunteer will help to find activities, plan activities, assist with room set-up and clean-up and work directly with teens during activities.
Goal of Position: To have an enthusiastic and friendly volunteer who enjoys working with teen programming, specifically manga and anime.
- Attend two teen programs a month, generally on the first and third Thursdays from 2:00-7:00pm.
- Assist with set-up and take-down responsibilities.
Time Commitment: This volunteer position requires availability from 2:00-7:00pm on the first and third Thursdays of the month.
- Enthusiasm and enjoyment of working / interacting with the public.
- Must be able to understand, retain and follow written and verbal instructions.
- Experience working with teens is preferred.
- Able to provide attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task, be resourceful, and work independently as well as with a team
Training/Orientation: Volunteer will need to attend orientation session and pass a background check.